Visualization extensions enable you to extend the visualization capabilities of Qlik Sense by using standard Web technologies. The concept of visualization extensions in general can be seen as a plugin mechanism that allows developers to combine the power of the Qlik Sense APIs with the almost unlimited capabilities of the Web.
Visualization extensions use the same set of technologies as standard Qlik Sense visualizations, and if developed properly, the handling of them is identical to standard visualizations. They can be:
- Added to a sheet using drag and drop.
- Configured to use the same property panel as standard Qlik Sense visualizations, meaning that you can create visualization extensions on top of the data of a Qlik Sense app.
- Resized, copied, pasted and positioned just like any other Qlik Sense visualization.
- Added to and used in data storytelling .
- Responsive and therefore work properly on any device.
About visualization extensions
It is not necessary that you have already developed any visualization extensions in neither QlikView or Qlik Sense, but you should have a basic understanding of the following concepts:
Qlik Sense products
All the concepts described in this section of the help work for both Qlik Sense and Qlik Sense Desktop.
In addition to Qlik Sense you need a code editor for creating your visualization extensions. Basically every basic editor works well, for example Notepad++, SublimeText or Aptana.
- If you are a beginner in creating visualization extensions, it is recommended that you use Dev Hub when creating your first visualization extension.
Comparison to QlikView extensions
Visualization extensions in Qlik Sense equals what is called Object Extensions in QlikView. They provide the same capabilities as object extensions plus much more.
Qlik Sense does not support exporting or printing of visualization extensions that uses external resources.
If you are looking for examples of visualization extensions, there are a number of places where you can look. Below you see some places where you can find visualization extensions built by other developers.